Saturday, January 26, 2013

A New Year, A New Adventure

Langston Hughes once begged the question, "What happens to a dream deferred?" and speculated that it might dry up or explode.Even King Solomon stated that, "Hope deferred makes the heart sick".
Women often defer their hopes and dreams to the needs of others. When we are raising our children it is hard to imagine that life will ever be any different. Our role seems to be that of facilitator for the lives of those we love. We make the hopes and dreams of others come true but often neglect our own.
Like many of you, I spent years and years up to my eyeballs in diapers and wet wipes, basketball practice and carpools, vacations with Mickey and Minnie. In that season of my life I knew I was where God wanted me to be. My husband was my destiny, these children my calling. Raising them to be Godly, productive, caring adults was my ministry. But what happens when your ministry ends, when your calling grows up? I found myself on some days barely hovering above despair. Surely, God, there has to be something more. You have to have something just for me. Like King Saul, I discovered there was a portion reserved just for me.
I had always enjoyed writing so I started a blog and made plans to publish a story that I wrote 10 years ago in a creative writing class. My dear friend Linda began this adventure with me, beautifully illustrating, Mismatched Moira.
We are thrilled with the results!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The second half of my life promises to be the best half of my life. I know for certain that women can have it all, but at 54 I have learned that we can not have it all at once. If you are where I once was take heart. Seasons don't last forever. That is the beauty of life. The seasons change, each one beautiful in its' time.God does have something for you that is yours alone. It is reserved just for you and it has no expiration date. If you look out of the window of your life and see that your season is changing, know that age or gender does not disqualify you from the blessings of God. Like Moses or Abraham, God will speak into your darkness and give you new purpose.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick,but when the desire is fulfilled it is a tree of life.
Proverbs 13:12 AMP

I'm linking today with Spiritual Sundays! Thanks Charlotte

13 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

YOU are amazing! you just did what i have dreamed of! i feel so proud that i know you and guess what?
i just bought it!

SOOOO excited to read it.

way to go, girl!!!!

Charlotte said...

We need to embrace and enjoy each season of our lives. You are in a good season right now. These will be some of your best years.
Thank you for letting me know about the link. I fixed it.
Blessings,
Charlotte

bettyl said...

What a wonderful post! I know God called me to New Zealand and I just have to remind myself that He has more plans than just helping to raise my stepkids. I don't know what it is, but I have a twinge of excitement everytime He reminds me that He is in control, even when I can't see the road.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Congratulations! what an accomplishment! Is the book out? I know two young ladies who I would like to get a copy for.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Just clicked the link to Amazon. It looks adorable! I will be ordering it in time for a birthday. Congrats again!

The Loerzels said...

Good for you and good luck!

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Oh I love this...I am grinning from ear to ear...you go girl...and please continue to cheer us others on as we start the race to see our dreams come true.
I love the book...it is where I can see it so I remember that dreams do come true

Blessings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stacey said...

Well spoken friend. I'm so proud of you for completing a major project that you started. And for looking forward when it can be really hard. It is so hard to imagine what comes next when our babies don't need us much anymore. I'm there right now. It's kind of a blank slate for now...exciting!

Pamela said...

What a fun, fun book. I'll be ordering it and will try to do an amazon review after I read it. Dreams are so important. I've had some come to fruition but have more I'm working on!

Rebecca said...

I just said to my hubby not 15 minutes ago that I missed my kids and my young life and WHAT could God EVER want with a bunch of pillows and roses?????

I so want to read this book.

Love you girl. Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I'm in that "barely hovering above despair" place. I've been divorced for 3 1/2 years after 28 years of marriage and my youngest is about to start college. I feel like I lost "me" a long, long time ago and have no idea how to find her again. Congratulations on your book and I hope you publish many, many more.

Monica

Liz Hockamier said...

Oh! All of us 50 somethings must be in the same place. Where can I get a copy of your book???? I can't wait to see it! I'm so proud of you! :)

~Liz

Sarah (Nikki) said...

hope deferred makes the heart sick but when the desire is fulfilled it's a tree of life. Boy that is so true. Your faith inspires.