Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blue Asylum

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Imagine a world in which you as a woman have no rights, only those your husband chooses to give you. And disagreeing with him could cost you your freedom. This is the world our heroine , Iris Dunleavy, finds herself living. Set against the backdrop of the Civil War, author Kathy Hepinstall
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
weaves a compelling tale of war, madness and the quest to be free.
After her Virginia plantation owner husband accuses her of insanity, Iris Dunleavy is sent to Sanibel Asylum to be rehabilitated into a "good wife". Wrongly convicted, Iris sets out to convince the supervising physician that she is sane. When she sees this is an impossibility she plans her escape, until she meets fellow patient Ambrose, a kind hearted Confederate soldier whose chivalrous ways and gentle eyes cause Iris to change her plans.
Ms. Hepinstall's novel is wrought full of colorful characters and complex circumstances that build to tell an explosive story. This novel is a real page turner with unexpected twists around every corner and a surprising but satisfying ending. This would be an excellent choice for your book club , especially for all you history buffs. This novel would invoke lively conversation and thoughtful speculation about what defines "crazy". The author's website has a few suggestions and I know some of you book club gals could have fun with this.
I thoroughly enjoyed Blue Asylum and would highly recommend it. Be sure and add it to your summer reading list and do consider it for you next book club pick.
To visit the author's website please go here.
To host a book tour on your blog please visit TLC Book Tours.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

10 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

I will! thank yo ufor the excellent review.
i finally read "major pettigrew" and loved
it. took me long enough, huh?

Karen said...

ohhh! I need to go get it! Thanks for the review! You have recommended so many that I just adore!
Hugs. Karen

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

History and insanity? Sounds like my life in a nutshell. :)

But seriously, this sounds like a fascinating read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts for the tour!

Stacey said...

Oh, I'm looking forward to some summer reading. :)

model baju muslim said...

Great post,I really like your article

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I have come here and it wouldn't come up on my computer until today. Now I will have to check out this book...I am learning to read fiction...LOL

Thanks for the comment today...you would think after five kids in sports I would know better, in fact, I have always been okay for them to learn deeper lessons, this one just hit my heart hard. I think sports is more about heart issues than anything else...now I am wondering if I will have enough energy to go through this when Benjamin is this age...oh my, let's not talk about the fact I will be well into my 60's!!!!!

I hope you are enjoying butterflies are your house...they are everywhere here, more than we have ever seen before..so much fun

Hep said...

Hi, thanks for the great review! really appreciate it and so do all the inmates at Sanibel Asylum.

Kathy Hepinstall

Liz said...

This looks GOOD! Thanks for sharing.
Hope your having a lovely weekend!

~Liz

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Just put in a request for this book at my library. I always love hearing about a good book.

Belgie said...

BLUE ASYLUM by Kathy Hepinstall is an interesting Historical Fiction set post Civil War. It has Civil War horrors,sanity,madness, plantation life as you follow Iris Dunleavy through her times of trials and the thin lines between sanity and madness. Iris Dunleavy is a plantation owner's wife on trial for madness,and sent to an Asylum because her husband wants Iris to obey his every word. He is not only a cruel husband and land owner but expects to get his way in all things. Iris is sent to an Asylum where she finds not only insanity but friends. Enter Ambrose,a wounded soldier,also in the Asylum. With a wounded soldier,a spirited but wounded women a seemingly impossible love,lost,grief,a call for freedom, and the need to escape the atrocities of war.

Blogging tips