Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Recipe Club

Today I'm hosting TLC's Book Tour

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

of Andrea Israel & Nancy Garfinkel's book The Recipe Club

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


For those of us who love to cook (and for the rest of you who love to eat what we cook) The Recipe Club is a sweet treat. The story follows BFF's Lilly and Val through nearly 40 years of friendship. Lilly, who is vibrant and outgoing, and Val, a studious introvert, are the central characters. Their letters to each other, always with a recipe included, allow us an intimate view of their relationship. Their story mirrors many of our own...teen angst,first love, insecurities, family secrets and dysfunction, and betrayal. The only constant in the turmoil is The Club.
This charming page turner celebrates friendship with a touching finale that you won't soon forget. Oh and then there's the recipes...all the fabulous recipes. Well you know I had to try one... or three.:)



The Nutty Professor Cookies

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The recipe:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 egg
1 teas vanilla ext
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teas baking pwdr
1/2 teas salt
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
butter or shortening for greasing baking sheets.


1. In a large bowl, beat the sugars and butter together until light and creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking pwdr, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Fold in the chopped pecans.
2. Shape the dough into one log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
3. The next day preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 3 baking sheets.
4. Slice the dough into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Arrange the rounds 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake until just golden, 7-10 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
This is a tender, delicious cookie. Perfect with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.



Just a reminder that the authors

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Andrea Israel and Nancy Garfinkel will be interviewed by Book Club Girl on Blog Talk Radio on 11-03-10 at 7:00 pm Eastern. Here's the link-http://www.blogtalkradio.com/book-club-girl/2010/11/03/andrea-israel-nancy-garfinkel-discuss-the-recipe-c



I also linking to Tuesdays at the Table. Thanks Cole!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

To host a book tour of your own visit www.tlcbooktours.com









10 comments:

red.neck chic said...

I'm not going to try to make those cookies... however, I am now craving cookies for breakfast. LOL

I think that is so neat how they wrote the book... friendship is such a precious thing!!!

xoxo
;-D robelyn

Melinda said...

A good story + good recipes = a win to me! Can't wait to try those cookies!

Donna Lynn said...

Loved your post, and thanks for telling about that book, I hadn't heard of it! I love those kind of books, and will tell my BFF and cooking partner about it too!

Saleslady371 said...

Looks like a great book. Reminds me of the Potluck Club with all the recipes!

myletterstoemily said...

thanks, lisa, for the wonderful book
review. i am always blessed when i
visit here.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Lisa, this book sounds like one I'd like. I'm going to add it to my list of books to read. Thanks for the review. laurie

Heather J. @ TLC Books said...

Oh my those cookies SO GOOD!!! I'm one of those people who prefers to leave the cooking to others, but still this book sounds like a fun read. Thanks for being on the tour - I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

myletterstoemily said...

hey lisa,

i noticed that you didn't post your spiritual
sunday piece. i hope everything is going
well. ?

we have spent a lovely late fall weekend
in the moutains, and it has snowed a tiny
bit each afternoon. nothing more beautiful
than snow.

"and i will be whiter than snow."

blessings,
lea

southerninspiration said...

Those look delicious! I will copy that recipe!
And thanks so much for saying that my new grandbaby is beautiful! I wondered if it was just me that thought that!! ;p

Suzanne

cindy said...

I neeeed a new book, so will have to go look for this one. And the cookies look amazing! thank you, I'm gonna give em a try! :)

-c

Blogging tips