Saturday, October 2, 2010

Helen Steiner Rice

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"When I was a child I attended Sunday school and sang'Jesus loves me,'"said greeting card writer, Helen Steiner Rice. "I believed the words then, and I believe them now."
Helen recalls sitting on her mother's or grandmother's knee and having them read to her from the Bible. One of her favorite passages was the Twenty-third Psalm. "My advice," Helen wrote to a troubled person, "read that chapter when you first wake up. Read it very slowly and carefully and with deep meditation...It is the most powerful piece of writing in the world and it can heal any hurt the world inflicts."
Hurts and disappointments are part of the fabric of life. No one escapes. Helen felt the ugly sting of death when her husband took his life after the stock market crash of the 1930's. The Word of God was the soothing balm she poured into her bruised soul.
Often the Word is put to music, and we sing Bible truth. Whatever way you choose, do as Helen recommended; meditate on the Bible. Read it regularly. Life's deepest wounds are healed by the powerful Word of God.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
Colossians 3:16 NIV

Taken from Devotions For Women by Jewell Johnson.

Thanks go to Charlotte and Ginger for hosting Spiritual Sundays.







20 comments:

Ruth said...

i love coming by here... your posts always inspire me and lift my spirit! thank you!!

Whidbey Woman said...

One of the most incredible sermons I ever heard was on the 23rd Psalm. I wrote all kinds of notes in the margin of my bible, and refer to it frequently.
Happy Spiritual Sunday!

Lisa notes... said...

I have always loved the poetry of Helen Steiner Rice but I never realized she knew the loss of her husband's suicide.

I agree that Psalm 23 is such an incredibly inspiring piece of poetry, given to us as a gift from the Lord. Thank you for sharing this devotional with us.

myletterstoemily said...

i will never tire of psalm 23. it becomes
dearer as i grow older.

thank you for another inspirational
woman's story!

Joan said...

There is so much comfort in the words of the 23rd Psalm. I had forgot about Helen's husband - I read that a long time ago. Still she kept the faith

Susy said...

This is a beautiful devotion to God, His word, and it's healing power. I've never known anything about Helen Steiner Rice, except her poetry on greeting cards!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love your list of things that make you happy. God bless.

Saleslady371 said...

I like the 23rd Psalm too. It brings comfort and is rich!

micey said...

very nice!

Jessa Irene (Holiday-Haven) said...

Beautiful, I will have to check out that book. Thanks for sharing it.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

The 23rd Psalm is one of my favorites.Great post.. thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Praise God for His Word and praise God that Word became flesh and became not only my Savior but my LORD!!! What a mighty God we serve.

sarah said...

thanks Lisa for this. thanks for reminding me that everyone has stuff happen and that His word is a safe place to fall....Have a great weekend.

Kelee Katillac said...

Helen has always been an inspiration. Thank-you for this well written and super lovely post Lisa!

Marydon said...

G'morn ~ Helen is one of my VERY favorite writers. I can always pull out her books & find something to fit my 'time' & 'lift me' in every facet of life!

Have a beautiful Sunday ~
TTFN Hugs, Marydon

Donnie said...

Lovely, inspiring post.

Charlotte said...

Wonderful advice, Lisa. It's amazing how God uses people like Helen Steiner Rice to bless so many people. This is another example of how something bad can lead to something very good. Thank you for sharing this message.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What an amazing woman, and excellent advise.I know that she has touched so many people with her writings.
Blessings,
Ginger

Liz said...

The 23rd Psalm and the Lord's Prayer were the 2 scriptures that my dad made us memorize as kids. I have always been grateful for that.

I love Helen Steiner Rice's poetry. Talk about a talent!

Thank you for sharing her story. I have never heard it before.

~Liz

The Paint Splash said...

Thank you for sharing these inspiring words today. It is so easy to let distractions take us out of the word and into the world. Blessings Debbie

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

What wise women - Helen Steiner Rice and you. Thank you for sharing this inspiration. laurie

Blogging tips