Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wilhelmina

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Queen of the Netherlands 1880-1962

Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white...He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white.
Revelation 3:4-5 NIV

It was an unusual funeral when the mourners at Queen Wilhelmina's burial did not wear the customary black but white garments, as she had requested before her death. The music, too, was different for a state funeral when the rousing gospel hymn, "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today," was sung.
In 1940, the Germans invaded the Netherlands and attempted to capture Queen Wilhelmina. She was able to escape to London, where she directed her armed forces in Germany and Japan. When the war ended, her people joyfully welcomed her home, and she ruled the Dutch people until her death.
To be "dressed in white" speaks of the purity of one who has washed his garments in the blood of the Lamb. It also depicts the faith of the wearer; in the face of grave danger, that person remained faithful. This was true of Queen Wilhelmina. When her dying requests were honored, the watching world knew she had died a Christian.
You may not have to say a word to your friends and family about your faith in Christ. Simply wear your "white garments"- a clean life- and they will know you walk with the Holy Son of God.

From Devotions for Women by Jewell Johnson

singing birds

Big thanks to Charlotte and Ginger for hosting Spiritual Sundays.








27 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh I like this reminder alot. :)

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Beautiful Lisa!

Thank you!
Cathy

Keetha Denise Broyles said...

I'd go so far as to say our "white garments" of a pure life are of far more import and impact than ANY words we ever say.

Great post!

Marsha's Mpressions said...

so true!

Dianne said...

I did not know this about Queen Wilhelmina. I am so glad to learn that. I knew that Corrie TenBoom and her family spoke very, very highly of the queen. She was a shining example. Thank you for sharing this.

sissie said...

Lovely post Lisa! Thank you.

Have a wonderful weekend.

hugs
Sissie

sarah said...

wow Lisa...this gave me chills reading it. Thank you for posting this. Have a great weekend ok.

myletterstoemily said...

what an inspiring and valiant queen!
she deserved the white at her funeral.

love,
lea


ps. my blackberry pie was awful! i'm
just the worst cook. :)

Joan said...

What an inspiration. I had read this about Queen Wilhamena before, but had forgotten it.

Blessings,
Joan

Joan said...

What an inspiration. I had read this about Queen Wilhamena before, but had forgotten it.

Blessings,
Joan

Whidbey Woman said...

Beautifully inspiring!!!

Saleslady371 said...

So interesting. Wish I could watch a movie about her.

Liz said...

Sounds like a fascinating character!
I would love to know more about her. I wonder what she would think of her country now? hmmmmm.

~Liz

偉曹琬 said...

愛情是一種發明,需要不斷改良。只是,這種發明和其他發明不一樣,它沒有專利權,隨時會被人搶走。.................................................................

sewingseeds4U said...

How beautiful. May our ways be the white garment of Christianity. Thanks for sharing, Patty

Virginia said...

Lisa,I like this a lot…..Beautiful.
Sweet Blessings,
Virginia

Clif said...

Excellent! Thank you.

Daughter of the KING said...

What an interesting post. Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Linda J

Charlotte said...

How interesting. I love it. I love white. Thanks for sharing this information.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This was a great post. She lived to be old back in those days. I always love your post, thank-you.
Blessings,
Ginger

Renee said...

THis is a very interesting post. My friend died when she was 49 and she asked her girls to wear bright and colorful clothes to celebrate her life...It was a strong witness to hear faith....I like the idea of white myself.. Thanks for sharing.

Parsley said...

Just stopping in to say hello to a Sorority sister! Have a wonderful week!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Wow! I loved this story! It makes me want to sit my family down and request that they were white at my funeral.

Be blessed dear one.

myletterstoemily said...

hi lisa. are your temperatures as suffocating
as it is one state above you?

i mean sweltering!!!

and take it back, "silly old thing." :)

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Lisa, what a wonderful story and a wonderful reminder. Thank you for posting this. laurie

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Oh Lisa...I love LOVE this!!!!
I shall wear white to the best of my abilities :)))))

cindy said...

Very beautiful!

-c

Blogging tips