Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Just Ran Out of Buttermilk Pancakes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This recipe is from the 1987 version of The Southern Living Cookbook. The recipe calls for buttermilk which I never seem to have in the house when we are wanting pancakes. I have, at various times, substituted sourcream, yogurt and just plain ole milk and they always turn out beautifully.
the Recipe:
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teas baking powger
1/2 teas baking soda
1/2 teas salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Beat egg. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar; add to egg. Add buttermilk (or substitute) and oil, beating until mixture is smooth.
For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto hot, lightly greased griddle. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges lightly browned. Makes about 8 pancakes.

Today I'm linking up with Cole and Tuesdays at the Table.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


12 comments:

red.neck chic said...

i'll be there in a little bit - thank you!

hee-hee
geesh... those sound soooooo good....

;-D robelyn

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Lisa, there is a company, Saco, I think, that makes powdered buttermilk, both in cans and envelopes that I store in my cupboard so I have it on hand at all times. It looks odd until it mixes, but the flavor is good.

偉曹琬 said...

easier said than done. 一起努力吧!............................................................

Liz said...

Ugh! These look so good I could just dive in! :P

~Liz

myletterstoemily said...

i have the same recipe and always
substitute yogurt. they are as
delicious as yours look.

but i make the UGLIEST pancakes
ever!

the country cook said...

I love buttermilk pancakes! I always substitute milk with a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to coddle it - works like a charm.

agypsyangel said...

Looks yummy.
I am a recent member of bloggerrette sorority, please drop by sometime. I was curious about the book club.
Smiles,
Kim http://agypsyangel.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Drool . . . Oh I'm sorry! Did I slobber all over you?
Your fault for posting this! MAN!
They are calorie free - correct?
Love it!
Hugs! Karen

myletterstoemily said...

i came over for some more pancakes,
but you ran out!!! dang.

Ruth said...

that looks absolutely yummy!!

Laura said...

Pancakes are my all time favorite-
I have had my share, over and over-
I am saving this great recipe-

Laura

cindy said...

This looks wonderful! I've been on a restricted diet, but I get pancakes this week! yay! happy dance! happy dance! But I'm sure they will not be as good as these look. :D

c

ps...love the piano music you are playing...what is that? its gorgeous!

Blogging tips