Saturday, July 31, 2010

Abigail Adams

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well.
2 Corinthians 12:15 NIV

When Abigail Smith married John Adams in 1764, little did she realize the sacrifices she would be called to make. As John became involved in establishing the new nation, Abigail was left to care for their farm, family finances, four children, elderly parents, and sick relatives. Alone she endured the birth of her stillborn child. At one point the couple was apart ten years while John took care of America's interests in Philadelphia and abroad.
In the face of these hardships, Abigail remained steadfast in her faith as seen in her letters to John. "The only certainty of life is God," she wrote. Repeatedly she said, " Only righteousness can exalt a nation."
Love for God, her husband, and the nation motivated Abigail Adams. Such devotion is needed in every age. Is your patience being stretched to the limit by seperations, family problems, or difficult people? Have you become weary as you care for elderly parents or a sick spouse? Unselfish Christian love is willing to go an extra mile. Now is a good time for you to pray: "God, I am willing to spend myself for others without thought of any return except your love and approval."

This is from the book Devotions For Women by Jewell Johnson. It's a lovely book filled with bios of Christian women throughout history. It's quite interesting and I thought I'd share some of the most special devotions over the next few weeks.

Thanks go to Charlotte and Ginger for faithfully hosting Spiritual Sundays.


singing birds

17 comments:

Ruth said...

what a beautiful story. very inspiring!

stopped by from Spiritual Sunday... a new follower now!
Ruth
Underneath His Wrapping

Saleslady371 said...

This is a great devotional. Thanks for sharing with us! I loved her character portrayed in the movie John Adams. Have a great weekend.

Mevely317 said...

Wow. This makes me realize how soft I've become -- I'm humbled by her example; her faith.
Looking forward to seeing more of these devotions in the coming weeks.... thank you, Lisa!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Amazing! Looking forward to your future posts -- Thanks!

sarah said...

Hi Lisa...wow..this woman really had to go through so much. Having to do so much alone...she could have become bitter and angry...Her faith is totally inspiring....Have a great Sunday tomorrow...and thanks for sharing this.

Barbara said...

How awe inspiring this story is! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It's hearing about people like Abigail who take up the challenge daily to care for others, makes me realize how little I do and how much more needs to be done for others.

Hugs XX
Barbara

Loren said...

What a wonderful devotional this is! What a woman of Faith she was!

Thank you so much for sharing!

trish said...

Thank you for sharing such a powerful example of how we need to be. It humbles my heart this morning. I would love to read this beautiful devotional, do know where I may find one like it?
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW! The faith of this women. This is such a great post today. Thank-you.
God Bless,
Ginger

Virginia said...

Hi Lisa,
Very inspiring and beautiful story.
What a great women.Good example for all of us.
Blessings,
Virginia

Scrapping With Sherry said...

This was truly a good story. Blessed to have came to this blog this morning to introduce myself and have the opportunity to read it. I almost feel it was meant for me!

I came to your blog today to introduce myself. My name is Sherry and I'm a new Bloggerette Sorority Sister. I am a newbie to the blog world. I have been blogging for about 3 weeks! so I missed the Rush, but I am looking forward to joining in on the fun in the future! I would love it if you would come visit me at http://scrappingwithsherry1.blogspot.com/ Hope to see you there!

Take Care~ Sherry

Joan said...

Lisa - this is truly an inspiring story. I'm always encouraged by reading the stories of other Christians Thank you for sharing this and I look forward to reading more of these in the coming weeks.

Blessings,
Jon

Rebecca said...

Thank you for visiting with me today, Lisa, and for the kind comment on my bloggie. Your thoughts mean more to me than I can say.

Blessings to you~ Loved reading about Miss Abigail...faith to be admired. Thank you for sharing. I need to read it.

Love to you~

Rebecca

陳陳昀人良喬 said...

Lets cross the bridge when we come to it............................................................

LuLu said...

Thak you for sharing this... so amazing!!
xo,
LuLu

Charlotte said...

Wow, Lisa, this is so inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site hospitablepursuits.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Blogging tips