Tuesday, June 22, 2010

TLC Book Tour

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I was recently asked by TLC Book Tours if I would like to participate in a book tour for Mary Kay Andrews, The Fixer Upper.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I have to admit that I had never read any of Ms. Andrews books. I know. I know. All I can say is,"Better late than never."
The Fixer Upper tells the tale of a young lobbyist, Dempsey (I LOVE that name. If I was still making and naming babies that would definitely be on my list.) Killebrew, naively drawn into some maybe not so legal shenanigans by her smooth talking boss. These unseemly escapades leave our heroine completely undone and totally unemployed. Not to worry. Dempsey's father has just inherited a victorian mansion that may need a little work. Remember The Money Pit? Just as Dempsey starts to channel her inner interior decorator, her boss's dirty dealings catch up to her. Yep. The FBI have a few questions Miss Killebrew.
Ms. Andrews delightful novel is the most fun I've had reading this year. There's intrigue, romance, a smattering of hot sex and the blow by blow account of Dempsey's restoration of Birdsong, the family estate, all written with Mary Kay's southern brand of humour.
Now, Fellow Readers, I thought you might enjoy some fun facts about our esteemed author.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
1. Did you know that her real name is Kathy Hogan Trochech? Mary Kay Andrews is the combination of her children's names.
2. Did you know that Mary Kay is a lifelong junker? That's right. The lady in the straw hat that beat you to that yummy piece of vintage silver? I bet it was Mary Kay! She even has an antique booth at Seaside Sisters.
3. Did you know that Mary Kay lives with her husband in a restored 1926 Craftsman bungalow in Atlanta, Georgia? Isn't it adorable?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
4. Did you know that Mary Kay likes to call in to book clubs meetings that are reading her books and join in the discussion?
5. Did you know that Mary Kay has the cutest website and blog where she shares about her travels, her recipes and her junk? Oh yeah. And her books! Well, Kindred Spirits, don't we all love Mary Kay? I think if she lived in Texas we'd be BFF's! Don't forget to pick up a copy of The Fixer Upper this summer!




11 comments:

Laura said...

This sounds like a great summer read.
I will definitely get a copy-

Thanks Lisa-

Laura

Stacey said...

Lisa, how did you get so lucky? I have this book on my nightstand right now! Haven't started it yet because I'm working on another one, Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt. It's great too.

I've read several of Mary Kay's books and loved them all.

heathertlc said...

I love all the "did you know" bits at the end - what fun!

We're thrilled that you enjoyed the book so much. Thanks for being a part of the tour. :)

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I am needing a good summer read! Thanks for the tip.

Liz said...

OOooh! This looks good! I have to ask... is it "clean" enough for my little Christain ladies book club?

Let me know.. :)

~Liz

PS... Will we actually get to see a picture of you on Friday?????? :)

Karen said...

YAY! Thanks LIsa. I just grabbed my iPad and downloaded the book! I'm looking forward to reading it!
It sounds too fun!
Loved this!
HAGE! Karen

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

What a great post! I am running out to get the book tomorrow!I am so happy you brought it to our attention!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Tee said...

Hey sista! I'm finally ahead of you on one! I read this when it first came out, cuz I'm a MKA nut. If you liked this one, you'll love Savannah Blues and Savannah Breeze too. Have you checked out her Breeze Inn cottage on Tybee Island?

p.s. My copy of the Fixer Upper is in the garage sale box, but if any of your readers would like it, I'll gladly send it along.

Michelle said...

Going on my book list for this summer...I have another one down from another post of yours before so the list is growing! This one sounds awesome!

xoxo

Mary Kay Andrews said...

Lisa, thanks so much for your great review of The Fixer Upper. Happy summer, y'all! Mary Kay Andrews.

Miss Janice said...

Love her house and I MUST read the book!

Blogging tips