I was recently asked by TLC Book Tours if I would like to participate in a book tour for Mary Kay Andrews, The Fixer Upper.
I have to admit that I had never read any of Ms. Andrews books. I know. I know. All I can say is,"Better late than never."
The Fixer Upper tells the tale of a young lobbyist, Dempsey (I LOVE that name. If I was still making and naming babies that would definitely be on my list.) Killebrew, naively drawn into some maybe not so legal shenanigans by her smooth talking boss. These unseemly escapades leave our heroine completely undone and totally unemployed. Not to worry. Dempsey's father has just inherited a victorian mansion that may need a little work. Remember The Money Pit? Just as Dempsey starts to channel her inner interior decorator, her boss's dirty dealings catch up to her. Yep. The FBI have a few questions Miss Killebrew.
Ms. Andrews delightful novel is the most fun I've had reading this year. There's intrigue, romance, a smattering of hot sex and the blow by blow account of Dempsey's restoration of Birdsong, the family estate, all written with Mary Kay's southern brand of humour.
Now, Fellow Readers, I thought you might enjoy some fun facts about our esteemed author.
1. Did you know that her real name is Kathy Hogan Trochech? Mary Kay Andrews is the combination of her children's names.
2. Did you know that Mary Kay is a lifelong junker? That's right. The lady in the straw hat that beat you to that yummy piece of vintage silver? I bet it was Mary Kay! She even has an antique booth at Seaside Sisters.
3. Did you know that Mary Kay lives with her husband in a restored 1926 Craftsman bungalow in Atlanta, Georgia? Isn't it adorable?
4. Did you know that Mary Kay likes to call in to book clubs meetings that are reading her books and join in the discussion?
5. Did you know that Mary Kay has the cutest website and blog where she shares about her travels, her recipes and her junk? Oh yeah. And her books! Well, Kindred Spirits, don't we all love Mary Kay? I think if she lived in Texas we'd be BFF's! Don't forget to pick up a copy of The Fixer Upper this summer!