Monday, April 26, 2010

The Three Weissmanns of Westport

When Joseph Weissmann divorced his wife, he was seventy-eight and she was seventy-five.
So begins Cathleen Schine's novel
The Three Weissmanns of Westport.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, you'll remember that Mrs. Dashwood and daughters are left in virtual poverty after the death of Mr. Dashwood. In Ms. Schine's retelling it is divorce and another woman that send Betty Weissmann, heartbroken, to Cousin Lou's Connecticut cottage. Her two daughters, Annie, a sweet and practical librarian and Miranda, a near bankrupt literary agent given to diva-esque drama queen antics, move into the cottage with her, Miranda because she is flat broke and Annie, to oversee the whole she-bang and to pay the bills... and there the story begins.
I love the fact that the girls are middle women (we get so little play) grappling with betrayals, financial reversals, and complicated romantic entanglements.
I enjoyed TTWofW almost as much as S&S. For you gals headed to the beach this summer, this is the perfect book to read while you're sipping that fruity drink with the little pink umbrella.
This modern day remix is a fun romp with the just right combination of laughter through tears.
Anyone wanting to share about TTWofW leave me a comment so I can put your link up.
Remember everyone is welcome at The Hospitable Book Club. No rules, No obligation, just jump in when you're ready. If the current selection doesn't interest you, hang around, the next one might.



3 comments:

Noni at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

I'm looking for some down time to enjoy a good read!! Seems that right now, I have a constant stream of little projects eating up my time! until then....

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Hi Lisa,

I didn't get this book in time. I'm 85th on the waiting list at our library, but maybe it will be available this summer. Also stopped by to tell you I posted my lemon chicken soup recipe. (Well, really not mine, just modified from Williams-Sonoma a teensy bit.)

Thanks for coming by!

日月神教-任我行 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blogging tips