Thursday, April 8, 2010

There's Still Time to Join Us!

It's not too late to join The Hospitable Book Club as we read
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The Three Weissmanns of Westport.
It may be hard to envision a novel of manners set in our ill-mannered times, but accomplished author Schine has captured the essence of Sense and Sensibility and dropped it into today’s Manhattan and Westport. The Weissmanns, elderly mother and two mature daughters driven to penury by divorce and career reversals, must rely on the beneficence of Cousin Lou for the shabby roof over their heads. Annie, still modestly employed as a librarian, has both salary and an apartment to sublet, so it falls to her to provide the income for the three. Alas, the other two spend money as if it were still the old days. Mother Betty affects widowhood as it is easier than the pending divorce. Sister Miranda finds inappropriate love. The wide-ranging cast of characters—fools, scoundrels, poseurs, the good-hearted, and secret heroes—provides interesting interplay.Wild coincidences abound, so that Manhattan, Westport, and Palm Springs are but mere extensions of the classic drawing room. There is sadness but also love in this thoroughly enjoyable, finely crafted modern novel. --Danise Hoover- Booklist

It is a fun read with a few 2010 twists that I'm sure would leave the Misses Dashwoods in a tizzy, but my lips are sealed. You'll have to read it to find out.:) Join us back here April 26 to share your thoughts.




5 comments:

red.neck chic said...

Oh..... SO up my alley!!! I'm on my way to the book store 'cause you've got me interested!!!

Thank You for sharing!!!
;-) robelyn

Sewn With Grace said...

I'm still working on it, and will try to finish it within the next couple of days. I got sidetracked with quilt orders. Thank you again for doing the book club, I love it!

Laura said...

I'm reading right now Miss Lisa-
when I am not outside digging in the dirt.
OK-
True confession,
I am behind, but I'll catch up.

Laura

Melissa Miller said...

It sounds like a great read Lisa!

~Blessings, ~Melissa :)

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Lisa ~I've truly missed my visits, but little by little I'm catching up.
Although last month was difficult with our loses a new month has brought new hope.
There's sunshine coming just around the corner, which makes it the perfect time to find a sunny spot and curl up with a a good book.

I'm so excited to see spring blooms popping up. I look forward to applying the inspirational palette of colors into a few DIY decorations and gifts, with a little baking/cooking in between.
Don't you love the aroma that fills the air during this season?
It's definitely invigorating.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Blogging tips