Monday, March 8, 2010

The Hospitable Book Club



This new selection was relatively easy for me, seeing as I love all things Jane...even the remixes (Clueless, Bridget Jones' Diary) and I know you Kindred Spirits do too.
The Three Weissmanns of Westport
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

are, specifically, Betty Weissmann, who has just been dumped by her husband of forty-eight years, and her two grown daughters, Miranda and Annie, who quite unexpextedly find themselves the middle-aged products of a broken home. When Betty is exiled from her elegant New York apartment by her husband's mistress, the three women-whose lives are in a varying states of disrepair and confusion-regroup in a small, run down Westport, Connecticut, beach cottage owned by Betty's wealthy and generous Cousin Lou.
The novel is a playful, devoted, loose-jointed homage to Jane Austen's beloved Sense and Sensibility, and in Ms. Schine's comic yet poignant retelling, the impulsive sister is Miranda, a literary agent who finds herself entangled in a series of scandals, and the more pragmatic sister is Annie, a library director, who feels compelled to move in with and keep an eye on her capricious mother and sister. As they mingle with the suburban aristocracy and wrestle with economic hard times, love starts to blossom for both sisters, and they find themselves struggling with the dueling demands of reason and romance.
It sounds scrumptious, doesn't it? We'll read (and I think thoroughly enjoy)The Three Weissmanns of Westport and then we'll all meet back here April 23rd and talk about it! And because this is House Hospitable EVERYONE is welcome! We'd so love having you. Ready...Set...Read!


14 comments:

Sewn With Grace said...

Sounds like a fun read...off to the library!

pileofsmiles said...

Im in....with same thoughts as my sister above!

Tee said...

Now this one sounds like fun. I'm in. Off to find the book.

Karen said...

Hi Lisa!
I think there is something wrong with me. I just cannot get into any of the Jane Austin novels I've tried to read. Love the movies, when there is one, but the books . . . maybe its the sentences that are truly 18 sentences long!LOL.
OK, you've made me think it over - I'll give it another shot. Any recommendations? I have the Complete Novels leather book. It is GORGEOUS! 7 stories to read . . . HELP ME PICK ONE!
I'll be waiting to find out your favorite!
HAGD! Karen

Liz said...

This looks good to me! I love all the movies too. I'm such a sucker for a good romance.

~Liz

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

That looks good! I'll be looking for it at the library. I'm looking forward to joining in next time.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Lisa...

My friend, thank you so much for coming by and taking a peek at my Birds of a Feather tablescape and for leaving me such a sweet note! So you are getting rain in Dallas too? It has been raining...raining at my place and today the rain has turned to snow...ohhh boy! I have a daughter in Temple, Tx. and she said that it was raining at her place too!

Thank you for doing this book review...sounds like a very interesting book! I'll have to check and see if our library has it! If not, I'm good friends with the librarian and she can usually get me about any book that I ask for!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Laura said...

This sounds great Lisa!
I am enjoying this so much.

Thanks for doing this-

Laura

Michelle said...

Now THIS looks like my kinda book!! Thank you for the suggestion!! I'm going out this weekend and buying it. :) Hope all is well with you dear!

cindy said...

This one sounds really good too! OK, I'm going to try and find this one and join the group this time.

-c
yapping cat

ps...thanks for the bday wishes! I appreciate it!

Stacey said...

Hey Lisa! It's Friday and I was just coming by to see if you ever posted a book. How did I miss this post?

I'll put in my request for this book at the library today! Sounds great.

無尾熊可愛 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Georgia said...

I pray you're doing well, Lisa! I apologize for being late here in commenting. I thought I had lost my blog. Long story, but I blogged about it. Just promise me you won't laugh at my retardedness. :P

The book you've chosen sounds like it's right up my alley. I'll be out this week getting it.

God bless you, my sweet friend.

Georgia

myletterstoemily said...

lisa!

i could have kicked myself for not
following you, because i lost you.

but hurray! found you again.

can you tell i love your blog?

blessings,
lea

Blogging tips