Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cherries in Winter

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After losing her dream job at a popular magazine, Suzan Colon finds comfort in her Grandmother Matilda's collection of recipes and discovers the key to her family's survival through hard times.
I thought the book an easy, sweet read and it really had me reminiscing about my own favorite family recipes. Look what I dug up.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
A recipe scrapbook I started a few YEARS ago.Of course I never finished it
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
but reading Cherries in Winter really made me realize just how important each family's culinary history is and how I owe it to my children to relay that history to them. So all 4 will be getting their very own recipe scrapbook...just as soon as I finish them.
Included will be a recipe for Nana's Johnny Marzetti, a ground beef goulash style precursor to Hamburger Helper, laced with a generous quantity of cheese that when melted kept the whole she-bang from crawling out of this pink pyrex casserole dish.
Sounds yummy doesn't it?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I know all you Baby Booming Kindred Spirits have your own regional version of this frugal fave.
I totally empathized with Suzan's need to go through Grandma's folder. I remember when I was expecting my first child. I wanted to talk to women that had charted those waters that were as yet unknown to me. I wanted to hear every childbirth horror story because I knew, in my heart,that if they lived to tell me their story, I would live to tell someone mine. I wanted to know that someone experienced what I was experiencing...and that they survived.
In this current economic crises we are listening to Mom's WWII ration book stories and Grandma's tales of the Great Depression and we know ,in our hearts, that we will do what they did. We will snip coupons and shop sales. We will plant gardens and can tomatoes. We will do what every woman since time began has done. We will make do and we will make a home. We are survivors. Cherries in Winter reminds us that it doesn't take much more than a good pot roast to make us feel safe, secure or even prosperous.
Please check out Suzan Colon's website for more insight into her delightful book. Also, please visit
Laura
Stacey
Renee

for their thoughts on Cherries in Winter.
Anyone else wanting to share about the book, please let me know so I can add your link.
We'll be announcing a new book soon so stay tuned!
Everyone one is welcome at The Hospitable Book Club.
UPDATE: Check out the comment section of my previous post as author Suzan Colon joins our discussion of Cherries in Winter or even if you want to leave her a comment or ask her a question. She'll be checking back in with us.Here is the link or you can just scroll down.



10 comments:

Sewn With Grace said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm so thrilled to have just discovered your blog! I'm looking forward to joining your book club as well as spending time visiting your site. Come visit me when you are free. Have a blessed day!
With joy,
Renee

Stacey said...

Good Morning Lisa. I posted my review.

Stephanie said...

I wondered how that book was - did you like it?
And good for you for working on your family recipes. I've been doing mine off and on for a year now! I need to remember to take some photos when I make these things so that my kids have them too!
Best,
Stephanie

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Hi Lisa!
This book sounds delightful. Oh how I'd love to get back to basics again. I loved hearing my grandmother's stories, then my mom's stories of how they raised six children, had a garden, pigs, chickens and cows...the basic necessities of "life". I would just roll my eyes then and think that was what Winn Dixie was for. NOW I know what they meant and how important those things were. It's amazing how times change and then...change again! It's changing girl, looks like this book is THE book I need to read. Thank you for sharing it with us :)
Have a wonderful weekend~

pileofsmiles said...

This sounds like a great book. I enjoyed your critique. I made a cookbook for my daughter. Wrote out all my family's favorite recipes. Then I discovered cooking blogs.

Noni at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Lisa, I think the recipe books you are making for your family are precious treasures for them!! The book sounds wonderful. I am going to have to add reading it to my list of things to do this year. What book are ya'll reading next?

gleenn said...

wow, this is a very moving post. I agree, women are survivors. they may look frail but they would definitely find a way a crisis.

i'm not really into cooking, but now after being engaged, i am starting to realize the need of learning it ;)

perhaps you'd like to win some fancy accessories? we have a contest going :)

http://creativefashion-glee.blogspot.com/2010/02/go-wild-and-free-get-your-accessory.html

have a great weekend!

Sewn With Grace said...

Hi Lisa! I just posted about your wonderful blog and book club. Have a great weekend!

Georgia said...

Hi, Lisa! You have an amazing blog!!

I love reading and I was wondering if you could tell me how to join your book club. Thank you!

God bless you!!

Georgia

Melissa Miller said...

Lisa I keep hearing about this wonderful book! I need to pick up a copy soon. Thanks for sharing the info on it.

Have a blessed weekend. ~Melissa :)

Blogging tips