Monday, January 4, 2010

Book Club



Look what the Hubster got me for Christmas!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was totally surprised and have since been chompin' at the bit, ready to announce a new book selection for The Hospitable Book Club.
Drum roll, please...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Cherries in Winter:
My Family's Recipe for Hope in Hard Times


What is the secret to finding hope in hard times?

When Suzan Col√≥n was laid off from her dream job at a magazine during the economic downturn of 2008, she needed to cut her budget way, way back, and that meant home cooking. Her mother suggested, “Why don’t you look in Nana’s recipe folder?” In the basement, Suzan found the tattered treasure, full of handwritten and meticulously typed recipes, peppered with her grandmother Matilda’s commentary in the margins. Reading it, Suzan realized she had found something more than a collection of recipes—she had found the key to her family’s survival through hard times.

Suzan began re-creating Matilda’s “sturdy food” recipes for baked pork chops and beef stew, and Aunt Nettie’s clam chowder made with clams dug up by Suzan’s grandfather Charlie in Long Island Sound. And she began uncovering the stories of her resilient family’s past. Taking inspiration from stylish, indomitable Matilda, who was the sole support of her family as a teenager during the Great Depression (and who always answered “How are you?” with “Fabulous, never better!”), and from dashing, twice-widowed Charlie, Suzan starts to approach her own crisis with a sense of wonder and gratitude. It turns out that the gift to survive and thrive through hard times had been bred in her bones all along.

Cherries in Winter is an irresistible gem of a book. It makes you want to cook, it makes you want to know your own family’s stories, and, above all, it makes you feel rich no matter what.Synopsis from book website
Doesn't it sound wonderful and timely? Let's all read it and we'll meet back here via Mr. Linky(or a reasonable facsimile) on Feb.26 and post about it. Tell us...What did you think of the book? Did you try any of the recipes? Did the book inspire you? How?
Okay, Blog Buddies. Ready, Set, Read!





12 comments:

Tricia Anne said...

I just ordered my book! :o)
Thanks for hosting a fun time of reading. This looks like a great book and I can't want until it arrives, so I can begin.
Have a great day.
- Trish

Stacey said...

I'm game! I'll go get my book as soon as I can get out of my icy driveway. Maybe Amazon is in order. Sounds like a great book. )

Suburban Princess said...

I got the Sony eReader for xmas! I love it!
Does the kindle use pdf files? If so, maybe we can share some books!

Liz said...

I will look it up! Sounds good!!!

I'm always looking for a good book for our book club...

Thanks!
~Liz

Karen said...

MAN! Everyone got these for Christmas! I am so jealous! I just have a hard time parting with the "book" part of it.
If you need a cover for it, go to Kim Caldwell's blog (she is on my sidebar under Artistic Bliss) and see what she made. VERY cute!
HAGD! Karen

Cathy said...

I am off to Barnes and Noble...can't wait!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Blue Creek Home said...

This sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing!
Rhonda

Michelle said...

Oh yay and I got a Barnes and Noble gift card!!! I am buying this book this week. This is right up my alley!

Hope you're having a great week, Lisa. :)

Michelle

Diana said...

Hello to a new Texas friend. I live north of Dallas. So glad you hoped over to get in on the "Texas List." I jumped in as a follower; would love for you to do the same. If you get a chance, invite any of your readers over. I am so excited!

I notice you love tearooms. We have one very close to me!

Cathy said...

Lisa...you must try it!!! I have them all over the house and it is sooooo easy!!! The one in the photo is a paperwhite...I like them the best. I get the bulbs every year at Nicholson Hardie...try it...try it!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

glenda said...

My book is on it's way, and I need something to inspire me..this type of book is my cup of tea.
blessings,
glenda@serendipity cottage.

james said...

i think you might like this post,
http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Does-One-Feel-Afraid

Blogging tips