Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut

Tuesdays at the Table
Lovely Yellow Ribbons

Tasty Tuesday
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This recipe comes from Cherries in Winter, the book we are reading for the Hospitable Bookclub! Come join us! It's a wonderful read, filled with family recipes and heartwarming stories. The recipe: Mom's Version of Great Great Grandmother Matilde's Baked Pork Chops with Sauerkraut is as follows-About 1 1/2 lbs pork loin or pork chops
Season salt
olive oil and butter for sauteing
1 lb bag or jar of sauerkraut
caraway seeds
white wine
on jar unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 325. Sprinkle chops with season salt. Put olive oil in large baking pan and bake for 45 minutes. While chops are baking melt about 1 tbsp of butter in large pan on low flame. Saute sauerkraut and add few shakes of caraway seeds.Add 1/4 cup white wine and 1/2 cup applesauce.
By this time your pork chops should have browned nicely so add the sauerkraut mixture to the roasting pan. Turn the chops over and loosen all the good browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to mix with the kraut. And back in the oven it goes for another 45 minutes. Although, I admit it is not a very pretty dish, it is the kind of hearty dinner that cold weather makes us beg for. I served it with fried potatoes and homemade applesauce. My 2 college aged sons, home for Christmas break, LOVED it! and so did I.:)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks to Cole for hosting Tuesdays at the Table.Thanks to Jen for hosting Tasty Tuesday.




11 comments:

Kelli said...

MMmmmmm, this sounds delish!! I wonder if it would work with chicken too? Hubby has Crohnes disease and eating pork hurts him (though he loves it) so we try to stay away from it.
I might experiment on this!!
THanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Kelli @ SustainingCreativity

Cathy said...

Oh yummy...comfort food...love it!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

fairfieldhouse said...

Lisa,

I am making pork chops for dinner so I can test this recipe out myself. Thanks for sharing. I am new to blogging and enjoyed looking through your posts. I will have to find RSH when I am done here - looks like my kind of shoppe! I will be returning.

Deborah

Laura said...

Hi Lisa-

This recipe looks delicious.

I just saw the link for the book we are reading.

I'll go get a copy tomorrow. I love stories connected to food and family.

I look forward to reading this.

Let me know if there is anything else I need to do-

Laura

Stacey said...

Yummo! I've made something similar before and it was wonderful. I really like the caraway seeds ;)

Michelle said...

This looks like a great Germany meal! Oh yum...I'm going to try this one out. Good weather for it too! :)

xoxo

Tara said...

Howdy Lisa,
Fellow Texan here. Hope you don't mind me following along. Yummy lookin recipe. I'll be back!
Hugs,
Tara

Blue Creek Home said...

We had pork chops for dinner last night. We grilled them...should have made this!!! It looks delicious!!!

Thanks for the RSH link. They have great things!
Rhonda

cindy said...

It really looks good! And I need to look for that book next time I'm over at B/N. Sounds like a good read. I like foodie books! :D

-c
yapping cat

Tracy said...

Thanks for for not forgetting me...glad to be back :)
Tracy

Nola @ the Alamo said...

Hi, I've come over from Tx Blogging Gals. This looks like a super recipe, I'll have to give it a try sometime. I am a sauerkraut fanatic!

Blogging tips