Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sausage, Spinach and Cheese -Stuffed Shells

Tuesdays at the Table
Lovely Yellow Ribbons

Tasty Tuesday
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This recipe was featured in The Dallas Morning News
recently and was a big hit at my house. So big in fact they inhaled it before I could get a good photo.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The last, little, lonely shell.

The Recipe:
1-12oz box jumbo pasta shells
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 egg
1-16oz container part skim ricotta cheese
1-10oz box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2 teas salt
1/2 teas pepper
4 cups pasta sauce

Heat oven to 375.F
Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
In a large skillet over med-hi,heat the oil. Add the onions and saute until soft, about 5 min. Add sausage and cook , breaking it up with a spoon, until no traces of pink remain. About 5 min.
Add garlic and cook for another minute. Remove skillet from heat and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl lightly beat egg. Add the ricotta, spinach, 1/2 cup of parmesan, basil, breadcrumbs,salt, pepper and the sausage mixture.
Note-you can divide this recipe in two pans and freeze half. I made mine in a lg lasagna pan.
Spread 1 cup of sauce in bottom of pan.Fill each of the cooked shells with sausage and ricotta filling.
Arrange shells in pan and spread remaining sauce over shells. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.
Uncover and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes. Serve!

Thank you to Cole at All the Small Stuff for hosting Tuesdays at the Table. Thank you to Jen at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam for hosting Tasty Tuesday.



14 comments:

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Oh my goodness, that looks so good!!! :)

SnoWhite said...

yummy, yummy, yummy!!!

Mrs. P. said...

I have a supply of Italian sausage in my freezer. This recipe looks delicious :)

Blessings!
Gail

blushing rose said...

Oh, I can hardly wait...!!! TY for sharing.
Have a beautiful relaxing day. TTFN ~Marydon

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Lisa! Dinner looks delicious! I will keep this recipe in mind for some night very soon! I am curious about your book club. Have you just started this club? I have heard of the book you just read, and I'm sorry I missed reading it along WITH you! I may be interested in the next book you choose, if you could perhaps let me know how the club works? ~tina

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

That looks very tastey! I make a similar stuffed shell with ground beef but I'll have to try it with the sausage. Sounds good!

Manuela

Denise said...

Sounds yummy. I've had the shells with ground beef and spaghetti sauce before but not with the sausage. Bet it's very tasty.

Tracy said...

Lisa I might be posting twice...bloggers acting goofy! I'm sure it's not the person behind the keyboard HA!
Yummy that looks so good! You are always trying new things...do you ever cook the same thing twice? :)

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

This looks delicious!

Jane

Vicki said...

Hi, Lisa,
I love visiting you! Your Hospitable Pursuits is always so cheerful and uplifting. I am glad your family loved the recipe. Don't you like to find something that everyone loves!! It sounds delicious. Thank you for stopping by Bunny Cottage. I love when you come for a visit. Vicki

Cole said...

Oh, those look so yummy! Thanks for sharing.:-)

Queen B. said...

oooooooooooo yummy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy said...

O my...I don't know how I missed this!!! Another yummy recipe I can add to the list!!! We are all pasta nutty around here...and my husband is always happy when I add meat to the mix!!!

Thank you!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Mrs. G said...

Yum! Those look so delicious. I have made them before but forgot about them. Might be a good time to make up a triple batch of marinara sause to have on hand for these yummy shells.
Hugs,
Sue

Blogging tips