Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Hospitable Book Club



Welcome to the inaugural bloggy meeting of The Hospitable Book Club. I'm so glad you could make it! Let's have a cup of tea.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In honor of today's novel, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, I'm serving sweet potato pie because quite frankly, potato peel pie doesn't sound too appetizing. But sweet potato pie is a whole 'nother story.:)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Well, Kindred Spirits, did you enjoy this book? I sure did, so very much.For those of you who haven't gotten around to it, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, is a charming, romantic, often times humorous look at life on the British Channel island of Guernsey during the German occupation.
Sarah Addison Allen, author of Garden Spells Says, " Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows have written a wondrous, delightful, poignant book- part Jane Austen, part history lesson. The letters in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society aren't addressed to you, but they are meant for you."
Yes, that's right. The book is comprised entirely of letters and in soon order had me on a determined hunt for monogrammed stationary. These are the contenders:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The delightful friends and neighbors in Guernsey form a literary club under the watchful eye of German soldiers, take in orphans, a young writer from London and you the reader, all while discovering the power of the written word. Tell me Friends! What did you think of TGLAPPPS?




7 comments:

LuLu said...

I love all the stationary choices! and i had to tell you that a fried snickers just might be the trick to get me to take the kids to the fair! LOL
LuLu

Saleslady371 said...

The stationary is beautiful. But I have to tell you, I want a bite of that sweet potato pie. It is my boss's favorite (he reigns from Georgia) and I wish I could make it like he's use to. I tried a few times.

cindy said...

I vote for stationary #2. LOVE the color and the design. And I've seen this book and will have to see about picking it up. Looks great. I LOVE to read. I'm also a big fan of SAA, love her books.

-c
yapping cat

Stacey said...

Are we really going to have a book club? :) I have wanted to read that book and haven't gotten to it yet. Right now I'm reading My Sister's Keeper. Yes I know it's going to be sad but I want to.

I will let you know when I read the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. :)

Stacey said...

I saw the book club button! I'm grabbing it and will watch for further words. :)

Nancy said...

I love that stationary and the pie was delish!!! ;) Nancy

PS...have you received your books from the Southern Lady Magazine drawing, yet?

nannykim said...

sounds like an interesting book! Hey is that tea set yours?

Blogging tips