Monday, April 20, 2009

Tuesdays at the Table



TuesdaysAtTheTable

Moist Lemon Cake

Kindred Spirits, today I'm sharing a recipe that I got out of the March issue of Family Circle. This is a very dense cake and absolutely delicious. The recipe is as follows:

Cake
1 lemon
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 6oz container lemon yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs

Frosting

3/4 (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
1-16oz box confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1-Cake:Heat oven to 350. Coat two 9in round cake pans with Baker's Joy cooking spray.
2-Zest lemon peel-about 2 teaspoons. Juice lemon.
3-In a medium size bowl, combine flour,baking powder,and salt.In a large measuring cup, whisk together milk, yogurt and vanilla.Beat butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time; beating well after each.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4-On low speed,beat flour mixture into butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk mixture. Beat well after each addition.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Fold in zest. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.

5-Bake layers at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed lightly. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully invert cake layers directly onto racks and cool completely.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6-Frosting:Once layers are cool, beat butter, 1 cup confectioners sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water until smooth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Gradually beat in remaining confectioner's sugar until good spreading consistency. Frost cake and serve immediately or refridgerate before slicing and serving. Enjoy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

PS Don't forget to stop by Andrea's at My Chihuahua Bites for more recipes.



14 comments:

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Lisa~ my hubs would love this cake. His Birthday cake request for at least 20 years has and will be...you got it...LEMON! Thanks for bringing a new B-day recipe to try.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Preppy 101 said...

Hi! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I gave you the Sisterhood Award on my blog. Check it out when you have time. xoxo

Stephanie said...

This sounds like a great recipe. I am not a fan of lemon, so I might alter it and use a different flavor.

http://www.eyeballgirl.com

Stacey said...

Oh that sounds delicious. We like dense cakes...especially with a cup of coffee in the afternoons.

Lipstick and Laundry ~Jen said...

Oh yum, something about lemons and cake... The perfect summer combo...

pink green & southern said...

YUM-EE!

Verena said...

Oh yum! Your photos are delicious. I love anything Jane Austin too. Aren't her books heavenly. I'm so glad that they've been translating them into movie form so we can see the lovely dresses instead of just imagining them.

Karen said...

I can smell it baking all the way from Indiana. I will have to try that recipe soon!

robinrane said...

Oh this looks great! Love you photos~

LuLu said...

I'm coming right over for a piece. Yumm! I have to make this it sounds wonderful. thanks for sharing the recipe!
LuLu

Cote de Texas said...

now I am hungry!

thank you so much for your comment - much appreciated!!!!!

Joni

Rhondi said...

Hi Lisa
That cake makes me hungry. I haven't made a cake from scratch in years. Maybe it's time. Hope you have a great day today!
Hugs, Rhondi

Nicolle said...

That looks and sounds delicious! I am a huge fan of anything lemon!

Michelle said...

Lisa this cake looks SCRUMPTIOUS!!! Lemon is such a Spring flavor, I love it! I am a little upset, my blogroll isn't updating sometimes on certain blogs. I know someone had that problem with mine. :( I am going to have to see what I missed here!

Blogging tips