Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tuesdays at the Table



TuesdaysAtTheTable

This recipe belongs to the Neely's of Memphis,TN and Food Network fame. I tweaked it a little because the pre-law, poli-sci, history major(take your pick depending on what day of the week it is) was home this weekend and I needed a bit more so I did 6 cups of rice and a 16oz bag of frozen spinach. I also used dried herbs instead of fresh and it was wonderful. I'm giving you the recipe as I found it...so do your own experimenting!

Easy Rice Bake Casserole

2 tablespoons butter, plus more for the dish
1 small onion
pinch cayenne pepper
1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach,thawed and drained
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
4 cups cooked rice
1 teas fresh chopped parsley leaves
1 teas fresh chopped thyme
1 teas chopped basil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a large casserole dish.
In a large pan over med-hi heat, saute onions with 2 tablespoons butter and cayenne until translucent.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Add spinach and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In a large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Add cheese, rice, herbs, and spinach mixture and combine well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Season with salt and pepper.Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with extra cheese. Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks to Andrea at My Chihuahua Bites for hosting Tuesdays at the Table!





11 comments:

High Heels & Combat Boots said...

That looks great!

Stacey said...

Looks delicious!

Michelle said...

My stomach started making obnoxious noises when I was looking at this post. Lol! This looks so good!

The Chavis Family said...

Anything with the word "easy" in the title is a big hit with me. :) Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to make it. The pictures are great too. ~Kim

Groomer Angie said...

ooohhhh, that looks yummy, I LOVE rice! Thanks for linking up, I'm having a great time looking at all the recipes.

Angie

Kim said...

Now that looks yummy! And look at all your pretty pictures!

Tracy said...

OH Lisa thanks for the nice comment...you are so sweet!
Mmmm, the recipe looks yummy!
Have a great evening!
Tracy

Liz said...

Yummy and healthy! I will have to give it a try!
~Liz

PS. No new outfit for me... yet.... maybe I can do that Saturday?! Loving your blog too! : )

pink green & southern said...

Oh, that looks delish! I love Neeley's--I had them cater for me a lot when I lived in Nashville! I will definitely make this one. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I also have a Tulane student (under grad--small world! Your blog is great!

Vivienne said...

Thank you for the recipe! I have 4 boys who eat every meal as if I will never, ever feed them again. I love that it is a side dish too! I'm one of those moms who always knows what entree, but is a deer in the headlights when it comes to sides. Great pix, too.

AndreaLeigh said...

oh, i am definately making this soon!

thanks for participating and sorry I am just now commenting. with all that happened last week with my uncle, i'm late to the TATT game. by the way, it will be back this tuesday so I can't wait to see what you post.

Blogging tips